People can grow tired of each other when they’ve spent decades together. After raising kids, paying off the mortgage and getting closer to retirement, some couples find themselves looking to pursue new opportunities on their own terms.
According to a study from the Pew Research Center, rates of gray divorce have doubled since the 1990s, forcing some baby boomers to come of age again after decades of monogamy.
When this happens, some often feel lost as they begin to rebuild themselves emotionally and financially. However, there are ways those involved in a gray divorce can move forward.
Ways one can move on
For new elderly singles looking to find themselves again, they may want to consider the following:
- Volunteering: Married couples often focus on raising their family. However, once they’re on their own, finding ways to help others can give them a sense of purpose again. They can do so by serving food at a local homeless shelter, tutoring kids with learning disabilities or visiting with the elderly. Volunteering can even be a way to find a new love interest.
- Exercise frequently: For some, divorce can take a considerable toll on their mental health and well-being. However, regular exercise can help gray divorcees look and feel better. Whether it’s a full workout or just going for a walk a few times a week, any amount of physical activity can help.
- See old friends: Once former partners are on their own, they have more time to reconnect with old friends. Sites like Facebook have made reaching out to such connections easier than before.
- Consider traveling: Many regret not traveling earlier in life. That’s why seeing other parts of the U.S. or the world can be a beneficial way for people to rediscover themselves and broaden their horizons at any age.
- Pick up new trades: Once they part ways, they may have to teach themselves what their partner did for them before. Whether that’s cooking, changing a flat tire or remodeling the bathroom, learning new skills can help anyone get back on their feet after divorce.
Finding new meaning after marriage is possible
Partners often feel a sense of uncertainty as they cut ties with someone they’ve been with most of their life. Couples in Hawaii looking to separate may want to contact an experienced family law attorney. They can help them come up with an agreement that works for both parties so they can live a happy and productive post-divorce life.